Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Paris Day 2—these lights will inspire you

Day 2, I wake up without an alarm.  It feels great. I throw on my new dress that I bought yesterday and head downstairs for a large breakfast of 3 croissants and 2 cups of coffee.  All the walking has turned my metabolism into that of a hippo.  Today, I am all on my own, as Nina is busy taking her driving lesson.  For the most part, I fare ok.  But asking strangers to take pictures of me is quite tricky.  Everyone is willing, but few are skilled.  I try to stick to those carrying obscenely large DSLRs, they seem to know what they are doing.

My first stop is Hotel de Ville—Paris City Hall.  It’s big.  Impressive.  Certainly the best of city halls I’ve seen.  I wonder what goes on in the minds of city employees when then go to work each morning.  Do they know how lucky they are to be in such a marvelous environment?

ParisDayTwo 010

Next I head to Notre-Dame, a majestic cathedral sitting on the Seine river bank.  The line to go inside is long, but it’s sunny with a breeze, so I don’t mind reading Frommer’s while waiting, and once in a while looking up to admire the detailed artwork on the stone walls. 

ParisDayTwo 147

An hour later, I start to feel it was a mistake not going to the bathroom first.  Finally, after 90 minutes of standing in line, I reach the entrance and receive a visitor’s guide.  Oh, “no bathrooms inside.”  Friends, learn from my mistake.  On the climb to the top, the narrow spiral stone staircase reminds me that the cathedral is nearly 800 years old.  The steps are steep and uneven.  Upon reaching the chimera gallery, my legs feel weak.  Atop the cathedral, the view of Paris is magnificent.  On a clear day like this, one can easily point out the most recognizable landmarks of the city.  A number of gargoyles line the edges of the roof.  These mythical creatures are truly works of art.  Their bodies engage in different activities, and their faces are expressive.  The most famous one, “stryga,” seems to be in deep thought while looking into the distance, as if he is guarding the city.

ParisDayTwo 034

The 13-ton Great Bell, named Emmanuel, and made famous by Victor Hugo’s Quasimodo, hangs in the South Tower.  Speaking of bells, has anyone seen the Liberty Bell—our proud symbol of American freedom?  That tiny little thing had a crack since day 1, and was only rung once ever… Whereas Emmanuel was cast in the 17th century and is operational to this date. 

ParisDayTwo 058

Back to the gargoyles…this one is eating grapes!! And one more photo of the view.

ParisDayTwo 071  ParisDayTwo 074

Inside the cathedral, religious music is playing softly.  I try to figure out what the flying buttresses are, but cannot figure it out.  The place feels peaceful, calming, and holy.  I sit in the worship area for a while, soaking in the serenity.  In the darkness, candle flames dance, and light from outside shines through the rose windows.  Beautiful.

ParisDayTwo 111

In the garden behind the cathedral, there is an outdoor concert.  I sit in the shade and catch up on post card writing while enjoying the music, and then eat a yummy egg and cheese crepe.  Yes, life is wonderful.

ParisDayTwo 143 

For the rest of the afternoon, I stroll along the Seine River heading west, stopping at small shops here and there to look at all the things I want to buy but can’t because they are too heavy.  Alas. 

By 6p.m. I reach Musee du Lourve.  I immediately go see the two most famous ladies of the Lourve, Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo.  Both galleries are full of huge crowds.  It’s hard to get close for a photo, but I manage.

ParisDayTwo 183 ParisDayTwo 194

While admiring the Mona Lisa, a Canadian gentleman chats me up.  A few more paintings later, he invites me to dinner.  Flattering, but obviously I politely decline for safety reasons.  Plus he said the Mona Lisa was unimpressive.  Ugh, no one disses my girl Mona like that ok?  Another personal favorite of mine is the Winged Victory.  Headless, but proudly standing near the entrance to the Denon gallery.

ParisDayTwo 192

The Lourve is huge and overwhelming, and displays extraordinary art pieces and exquisite material possessions.  Every corner I turn, there is another world famous masterpiece.  And the pinnacle of wealth is displayed in Napoleon’s apartment.  I am reminded of the Chinese term, 富丽堂皇, which rolls wealth, beauty, and class/royalty all into one word.  By this time, my camera is running low on power, so I don’t have many photos.  Here is a hallway from Napoleon’s crib.

ParisDayTwo 236

At 9p.m., my feet can hardly move another step, I want to leave.  But Mona Lisa calls me back to her.  This time, the crowd has thinned out.  I spend 25 minutes with her.  In the gallery where she resides, there are huge and elaborate paintings.  In fact, she is one of the smallest paintings in the room.  But this lady gets her own wall and commands attention like no other.  I walk back and forth, making a half circle in front of her.  Her eyes follow me.  Her clothes are simple, yet something about her posture exudes elegance.  And her smile—one of the biggest mysteries of the art world—she seems to be hiding something behind that smile.  I can’t figure it out.  We stare at each other until the guards clear out the room.  She is still smiling, I smile back.  If she were real and my contemporary, perhaps we could be good girlfriends.

By now it’s 10p.m. and getting dark.  Though I’d like to see the Eiffel Tower at night, my feet simply would not allow it.  I head back and get dinner at the same neighborhood restaurant.  Tonight I try the green pea soup and pork dish.  Again, delicious. 

ParisDayTwo 247 ParisDayTwo 243

At the end of my second day in Paris, I am even more grateful to be here.  The culture here is so rich—full of inspirations.  I can’t wait to return for another visit.

2 comments:

  1. OMG so enviouz of your party of one~!! keep blogging your Europe adventures and thAnkz~!!! you're mAking me wanna visit Paris more and more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes yes definitely visit when you have the time. you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete